Whether you call them hush puppies or fritters … these tasty deep-fried treats are an easy-to-make appetizer, snack or side dish. The batter is similar to a thick corn muffin mix that is dropped by the spoonful into hot oil and fried to a golden brown. Fritters only take about two to four minutes to cook. It is best to work in small batches and clean as you go. They are great by themselves, but really shine with a sriracha mayo or hot honey for dipping.
What you will need:
- A small at home deep fryer or medium size pan for easy stovetop frying
- Beef tallow
- Mixing bowls
- Chopsticks, or heat-safe tong to flip the fritter in the oil
- Spider, or heat-safe strainer to safely remove the fritters from the oil
- Cooling rack
- 2 – 4 cups of beef tallow, enough to fill a small fryer. If you are using a pan for stovetop frying you will want the tallow to be roughly 2 inches deep when melted. The amount will depend on the size of your fryer or pan
- 1 ¼ cup fine corn meal
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup melted lard of your choice
- 1 cup sweet creamed corn
- 1 small jalapeño pepper or serrano chili, diced
- Mix all of your dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl mix all of your liquid ingredients well, beating the eggs.
- Combine the dry and wet mixes until fully blended and uniform, but no need to overwork.
- Add the creamed corn and diced chili pepper and fold in. It is best to let stand for at least 15 minutes to allow the mixture fully hydrate and thicken.
- Heat your beef tallow in a pan or deep fryer. Use a thermometer to watch your temperature and keep the heat steady during frying. Try to keep the oil temperature around 325-350°F.
- When you are ready to fry, use an ice cream scoop or a large tablespoon and carefully drop the batter into the hot oil. After about 30 seconds, the fritter should start to float. At this point, use your chopsticks or tongs to flip the fritters over to ensure even cooking. When they have browned nicely, remove them from the oil, and place on the cooling rack.
- The internal temperature should be 190-205°F. The inside should resemble a dense corn muffin.
Corn fritters are delicious dipped in a sriracha mayo or hot honey sauce. Sprinkle with green onions or some cilantro for garnish and enjoy!